If you know anything about me, you know that I absolutely love anything that can be wrapped up into a shell (see: tacos).
Because of this I’m always looking for ways to wrap up flavorful meats, creative veggies, and to-die-for sauces.
I wanted to put an Asian spin on my favorite meal-format, so I created this recipe for Thai Beef Lettuce Cups with an addictive almond lime sesame sauce, and they are SUCH a hit!
All you need is some good-quality ground beef, and a TON of spices — but likely spices you already have in your pantry.
I also loved the crisp, cool texture that the lettuce cup adds to this dish, the added chewy texture of the thin rice noodles, and crunch of shredded carrot on top, make this the perfect little meal, all rolled up.
And don’t get me started on the sauce — this sauce will transport you to a far-away land, that you’ll never want to leave!
I hope you love this dish as much as my husband and I did!
- For the Beef:
- 1 pound grass-fed ground beef
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1tsp diced fresh ginger
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp red curry paste
- 4 tsp lime juice
- 6 TBSP coconut Aminos (divided into 2 and 4 TBSP portions)
- 2 tsp diced lemongrass
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 2 garlic clove, pressed
- 4 tsp avocado oil for cooking
- For the Sauce:
- 1 TBSP almond butter
- 1.5 tsp coconut aminos
- 1.5 tsp sesame oil
- A few pinches salt
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1 TBSP water
- For the Lettuce Cups:
- 1 head bib lettuce
- ½ package maifun rice noodles
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- crushed peanuts to garnish
- Make the sauce: In a small mixing bowl, whisk the almond butter, 1.5 tsp coconut aminos, sesame oil, ¼ tsp garlic powder, 2 tsp lime juice, water, and a few pinches of salt until a medium-thin sauce is formed. Set aside.
- Prepare the ground beef: In a large mixing bowl, add the ground beef, cumin, diced ginger, salt, garlic powder, red curry paste, 4 tsp lime juice, 2 TBSP coconut aminos, diced lemongrass, onion powder, and pressed garlic, and combine using your hands (it’s the best way to get everything well-combined!).
- Cook the beef: In a large cast-iron skillet or non-stick pan, heat the avocado oil over medium heat.
- Cook the rice noodles: Cook the noodles according to package instructions. Strain, rinse, and set aside.
- Once the pan is hot, add the seasoned ground beef mixture, and allow to cook on medium-low heat for about 4 minutes, using a wooden spoon or a spatula to break up the meat and stir so that the beef is cooking on all sides.
- Add in the remaining 4 TBSP of coconut aminos, and continue cooking for another 3-5 minutes, until the beef is completely browned.
- Once the beef is fully cooked, remove from heat and set aside.
- Assemble the lettuce cups: Spread the the lettuce leaves out separately, add a few tablespoons of the beef, top with the noodles, shredded carrots, and drizzle with the sauce. Add the peanuts to garnish, and serve.